The elements of
SOSTAC® planning with respect to
digital marketing strategy are:
1. Situation analysis means ‘where are we now?’ Planning activities involved at this stage
include performing an Internet-specific SWOT analysis, and reviewing the different
aspects of the micro-environment including customers, competitors and
intermediaries. Situation analysis also involves review of the macro-environment
2. Objectives means ‘where do we want to be?’ This can include a vision for digital channels, and also specific numerical objectives for the digital channels such as projections
of sales volumes and cost savings.
3. Strategy means ‘how do we get there?’ Strategy summarizes how to achieve the objectives for the different decision points explained in this chapter, including segmentation, targeting, proposition development (including the elements of the marketing mix and CRM.
4.Tactics defines the usage of tactical digital communications tools. This includes specific
details of the marketing mix, CRM, experience and digital communications.
5. Actions refers to action plans, change management and project management skills. We
refer to some of the issues of modifications to organizational roles and structures later
in this chapter.
6. Control looks at the use of management information including web analytics to assess
whether strategic and tactical objectives are achieved and how improvements can be made
to enhance results further. This is closely related to goal setting , and also the coverage of web analytics and tracking.